GAZETTAL OF BATHURST UNITING CHURCH AND CHAPEL
The Bathurst Uniting Church and Chapel have been officially added to the state heritage register. The church, chapel and William Davidson pipe organ have all been recognised on the NSW state heritage register as it contains the oldest surviving Methodist chapel in NSW.
The chapel reflects the early history of Bathurst which was a significant part of the early expansion and development of NSW west beyond the Blue Mountains. The church was added later to accommodate a growing population and provided the congregation with a formal and traditional space for worship and the ability to carry out missionary work.
Constructed in 1837, Bathurst Uniting Chapel is an Old Colonial Georgian building with exposed brickwork that compliments the later edition Church built in 1860 in a Victorian Academic Gothic style. The William Davidson pipe organ is a rare 19th century instrument and one of the last remaining intact and largely unaltered from its original condition.
Whilst there has been various changes and extensions over the decades, the buildings contain much of their original componentry. An addition to note was twenty-three commemorative stained-glass windows installed in 1922 which can be seen from William street lit up each night.
Member for Bathurst Paul Toole visited the church to deliver the good news and took a tour of the heritage significant buildings.
“History is important, especially elements that tell the foundational story of our great town and region. The Bathurst Uniting Church is a landmark on William Street and worthy of its place on the state heritage register,” Mr Toole said.
“Listings on the state heritage register are considered particularly important to the people of NSW. It is a diverse list of items and buildings that we as a community want to hand on to future generations.”